About Love Food
Love Food, the cookbook brand from Parragon Books, is dedicated to providing simple, delicious recipes for the home cook.
Links to Our Tumblrs
Meat Free Monday - Spicy Tofu
Stir things up a bit with this winner of a dish - tofu, vegetables and a touch of spice. Meat Free Monday magic!
Spicy Tofu, serves 4.
75ml/2½ fl oz vegetable stock
2 tsp cornflour
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp caster sugar
pinch of chilli flakes
4 tbsp groundnut oil
250g/9oz firm tofu, rinsed and drained thoroughly and cut into 1-cm/½-inch cubes
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, crushed
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
1 carrot, cut into thin strips
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
250g/9oz shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
steamed rice, to serve
1. To make the marinade, blend the vegetable stock, cornflour, soy sauce, sugar and chilli flakes together in a large bowl. Add the tofu and toss well to cover in the marinade. Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
2. In a large wok, heat 2 tablespoons of the groundnut oil and stir-fry the tofu with its marinade until brown and crispy. Remove from the wok and set aside.
3. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of groundnut oil in the wok and stir-fry the ginger, garlic and spring onions for 30 seconds. Add the broccoli, carrot, yellow pepper and mushrooms to the wok and cook for 5-6 minutes. Return the tofu to the wok and stir-fry to reheat. Serve immediately over freshly steamed rice.
Butternut Squash Stir Fry, for Meat Free Monday
Monday is here again and this is our suggestion for a warming start to the week: a delicious butternut squash stir fry.
Butternut Squash Stir Fry, serves 4
1 kg/2 lb 4oz butternut squash, peeled
3 tbsp peanut oil
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
150 ml/5 fl oz coconut milk
100 ml/3.5 fl oz water
100g/3.5 oz salted cashew nuts
Freshly grated lime rind, fresh coriander and lime slices to garnish
1. Slice the squash into small, bite-sized cubes, using a sharp knife.
2. Heat the groundnut oil in a large, preheated wok.
3. Add the butternut squash, the onion and the garlic to the wok and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and fresh chopped coriander, and stir-fry for 1 minute.
5. Add the coconut mil and water to the wok and bring to the boil. Cover the wok and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
6. Add the cashew nuts and stir to combine thoroughly.
7. Transfer to warmed serving dishes and garnish with the lime rind, the coriander and the lime slices. Serve immediately.