About Love Food
Love Food, the cookbook brand from Parragon Books, is dedicated to providing simple, delicious recipes for the home cook.
Links to Our Tumblrs
UK: It’s National Hug Your Cat Day!
Meow! It’s National Hug Your Cat Day.
Cook your feline friend a yummy Risotto dinner with this recipe from ‘Cooking for your Cat’.
Meat Free Monday - Parmesan Cheese Risotto with Mushrooms
It’s melt-in-your-mouth risotto time - how could you resist such temptation on a Monday!? (from The Vegetarian Cookbook)
Parmesan Cheese Risotto with Mushrooms, serves 4
1 litre/1¾ pints of vegetable stock
2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
225g/8oz risotto rice
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 red or green pepper, deseeded and chopped
225g/8oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
55g/2oz sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained and chopped (optional)
55g/2oz finely grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
1. Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan, then reduce the heat and keep simmering gently over a low heat while you are cooking the risotto.
2. Heat the oil in a deep saucepan. Add the rice and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes, until the grains are thoroughly coated in oil and translucent.
3. Add the garlic, onion, celery and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the oregano.
4. Gradually add the hot stock, a ladleful at a time. Stir constantly and add more liquid as the rice absorbs each addition. Increase the heat to medium so that the liquid bubbles. Cook for 20 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is creamy. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, if using, 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in half the cheese until it melts. Transfer the risotto to warmed plates. Top with the remaining cheese, garnish with the parsley and serve immediately.