About Love Food
Love Food, the cookbook brand from Parragon Books, is dedicated to providing simple, delicious recipes for the home cook.
Links to Our Tumblrs
We’ve noticed that much of the world is having some pretty terrible weather. Let’s curl up with some comforting barley, lentil, & onion soup for Meat Free Monday.
Steak Sandwiches – Serves 4
8 slices thick white or brown bread,
butter, for spreading,
2 handfuls mixed salad leaves,
3 tbsp olive oil,
2 onions, thinly sliced,
675 g/1 lb 8 oz rump or sirloin steak, about 2.5 cm/1 inch thick,
1 tbsp Worcester sauce,
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard,
2 tbsp water,
salt and pepper.
1) Spread each slice of bread with some butter and add a few leaves to the bottom slices.
2) Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes until softened and golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate and set aside.
3) Increase the heat and add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the steak, season to taste with pepper and cook quickly on both sides to seal. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, turning once, for 2.5-3 minutes each side for rare or 3.5-5 minutes each side for medium. Transfer the steak to a plate.
4) Add the Worcester sauce, mustard and water to the pan and stir to deglaze by scraping any sediment from the base of the pan. Return the onions to the pan, season to taste with salt and pepper and mix well.
5) Thinly slice the steak across the grain, divide between the 4 bottom slices of bread and cover with the onions. Cover with the top slices of bread and press down gently. Serve immediately.
We ❤ Food.