About Love Food
Love Food, the cookbook brand from Parragon Books, is dedicated to providing simple, delicious recipes for the home cook.
Links to Our Tumblrs
Meat-Free Monday: Vegetable Toad in the Hole
From Love Food book: The British Pub Cookbook
100 g/31/2 oz plain flour,
pinch of salt,
2 eggs, beaten,
200 ml/7 fl oz milk,
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard,
2 tbsp vegetable oil.
25 g/1 oz butter,
2 garlic cloves, crushed,
1 onion, cut into eight wedges,
75 g/23/4 oz baby carrots, halved lengthways,
50 g/13/4 oz French beans,
50 g/13/4 oz canned sweetcorn, drained,
2 tomatoes, deseeded and cut into chunks,
1 tsp wholegrain mustard,
1 tbsp chopped fresh mixed herbs
salt and pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. To make the batter, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Beat in the eggs and milk to make a batter. Stir in the mustard and leave to stand.
2) Pour the oil into a shallow ovenproof dish and place in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
3) To make the filling, melt the butter in a frying pan and sauté the garlic and onion, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Cook the carrots and beans in a saucepan of boiling water for 7 minutes, or until tender. Drain well.
4) Add the sweetcorn and tomatoes to the frying pan with the mustard and chopped mixed herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add the carrots and beans.
5) Remove the preheated dish from the oven and pour in the batter over the hot oil. Spoon the vegetables into the centre, return to the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until the batter has risen and set. Serve immediately.